Academic Forgiveness Policy for Readmitted Students

These policies apply to Undergraduate Students only. Graduate students should contact the Graduate School for more information.

Students readmitted to the College after an absence of three or more calendar years may choose to have their previous College of Charleston record treated as transfer credit if they achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.500 or better in the first 15 credit hours after their return. All grades earned in the semester in which the 15th credit hour is completed will be included. Previous work at the College will remain on the student’s permanent record; however, only coursework completed since readmission will be used to calculate their cumulative GPA. Students choosing this option must request it in writing to the Center for Academic Performance & Persistence (CAPP) once the 15 credit hours are completed.  Certain restrictions apply:

  • Students who choose to apply the Three-Year Option to their record should be aware that any coursework completed prior to readmission in which a grade of “C-” or lower was earned will not count toward graduation.
  • For the purpose of calculating GPA for graduation with honors, all coursework taken at the College of Charleston will be included in that calculation.
  • Students must request the Three-Year Option prior to applying to graduate.
  • The Three-Year Option is not available to students who have already earned a degree from the College of Charleston.
  • Once a Three-Year Option has been approved and applied, it cannot be reversed.

For more information about the Three-Year Option for Readmitted Students (Academic Forgiveness Policy), please consult the Undergraduate Catalog.


Request the Three Year Option

Click here to submit your request for 3 Year Option

Please contact CAPP at 843.953.5674 with any questions about filling out the Three Year Option request form.